Organized in the summer of 1915 with 24 charter members, the Greater Homestead / Florida City Chamber of Commerce is proud to be the second oldest chamber in Miami-Dade County. Then, as now, the chamber worked as part of a team with the cities of Homestead and Florida City to make south Miami-Dade a better place to do business and raise a family.
Originally named the Homestead Chamber of Commerce, the chamber was reorganized in 1917 and was renamed the South Dade Chamber of Commerce. Officers and directors were elected from Silver Palm, Modello and Redland, as well as the two cities, giving it a more regional view.
The first chamber promotional booklet was published in 1921, thanks to Henry Flagler’s land holding company, the Model Land Company. Another reorganization took place in 1923 and the name changed to the Redland District Chamber of Commerce. An even greater regional look came about with the directors elected from Homestead, Florida City, Redland, Silver Palm, Modello, Naranja, Princeton and Goulds. The chamber named the north and south roads in the Redland District for Dade County and won 1st prize at the Florida State Fair for community exhibits.
The chamber built its first building adjoining Old City Hall in early 1924 and organized the first Redland District Fruit Festival the same year.
The attraction of a second railroad to Homestead, the Seaboard Coast Line, was a major chamber success in the late 1920’s. The chamber was responsible for convincing landowners to donate land for the right of way. Projects of the 1930’s were to attract a circus to winter over in Homestead, tourist camps, Homestead’s Bayfront Park, and the purchase of land and construction of a festival pavilion for the fruit festival in Homestead near Municipal Park, on NE First Avenue. The festival building also housed the chamber’s offices.
The chamber took on a new look in late 1949 when the composition of the elected board of directors was changed to five members at large and the presidents of 15 civic and veterans groups in the area from Florida City to Perrine.
Some time before January of 1962 the name was expanded to Homestead-Redland District Chamber of Commerce, and then later the Redland District part was dropped. At the request of the mayor of Florida City, the name was changed to the Homestead / Florida City Chamber of Commerce in 1981.
In 1994 the chamber moved back to one of its original locations, Historic Old Town Hall. The chamber is now located right next door at 47 North Krome Avenue, Homestead, FL 33030, maintaining and preserving its original mission for the benefit of the business members of the South Miami-Dade area.